Double Chocolate Macaroons
Author: Clean Eating Online
I LOOOOOOVE macaroons! This is a delicious recipe your entire family will enjoy. They're gluten free too!
- 8 oz dark chocolate (60% cocoa or greater), chopped, divided
- 1 ¾ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup Sucanat or turbinado sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small microwave-safe bowl melt 3 oz chocolate in microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir and continue to microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk coconut, sugar, cocoa powder and salt until well blended. Stir in melted chocolate until just combined.
- In a small bowl whisk egg whites and vanilla and almond extracts until combined. Add egg white mixture to coconut mixture and stir until well blended. Scoop one level Tbsp and pinch into a low pyramid shape. Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining batter, making 24 macaroons. Bake for 14 to 15 minutes, until outer layers are firm, bottoms are lightly browned and centers remain soft. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining 5 oz chocolate in microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until melted. Carefully holding each macaroon upside down by its base, dip peaks into chocolate. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Makes 24 macaroons.
Calories: 119 Fat: 8 g Carbohydrates: 11 g Sugar: 7 g Fiber: 2 g Protein: 2 g