Gazpacho with Herbed Walnuts
Author: Clean Eating Online
- 1½ lb ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 small red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1½ cup tomato juice
- 1 dash each of black pepper and hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 dash of salt (optional)
- ⅔ cup chopped walnuts
- Gazpacho: In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, garlic, onion, vinegar and tomato juice.
- Process the soup in batches in a food processor or blender just until it is coarsely pureed - it should not be too smooth. Return to the bowl then cover and chill thoroughly. Before serving, if the soup seems too thick, stir in some tomato juice. Season with salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce to taste, if desired. Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with herbed walnuts.
- Walnuts: Preheat the oven to 350ºF. To prepare the herbed walnuts, spread the oil in a small baking pan and place the pan in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small cup or bowl stir together the rosemary, cayenne, and a pinch of salt, if desired; set aside. Add the walnuts to the oil and stir and toss to coat them. Sprinkle with the rosemary mixture then stir twice, until the nuts are lightly toasted. Set aside until serving.