I love lavender!
Want to stay healthy during cold and flu season? Here are some helpful ways to use lavender to fight off all those yucky germs lurking everywhere this time of year:
1. Make your own hand sanitizer
– In a leak proof bottle combine 1 tablespoon aloe vera gel, 3 tablespoons grain alcohol and 10 drops lavender essential oil. Shake thoroughly and use liberally throughout the day.
2. Direct use
– By placing a few drops of lavender oil on the skin several times per day, the immune system will be ready to tackle cold bugs and flu viruses.
3. Antiseptic soap
– Washing your hands frequently is one of the best way to prevent illness. To take it up a notch, use lavender oil to make a natural germicidal soap. In a mixing bottle, add 20 drops of lavender essential oil per 8 ounces neutral liquid soap (such as castile). Shake vigorously to combine. Transfer to a hand soap dispenser and use frequently.
– Use lavender essential oil as a disinfectant spray! This will help keep your environment free of breeding pathogens. Add 40 drops of the oil to a spray bottle and fill with 2 cups water. Shake
well before each use. Use it to spray countertops, toilet seats,handles and doorknobs as well as cell phones and other high traffic surfaces.
5. Air sanitation
– This is a simple practice which minimizes infectious disease at home or in the office. By placing several drops of lavender oil in a pot of simmering water or use a nebulizer you will disinfect the air naturally and your immune system will get a boost! Diffuse for about 30 minutes.